Explosions have been carried out across several churches and hotels in Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday morning, killing at least 138 people and injuring more than 500 it has been reported.
The explosions injured as many as 500 people, including Japanese and British citizens, and 35 foreigners – from the UK, US and Netherlands – are among the dead, sources say.
Two of the blasts were suspected to have been carried out by suicide bombers, according to one security official source.
He said at least 45 people had been killed in Colombo, where three hotels ( the Shangri-La, Kingsbury Hotel and the Cinnamon) and a church were hit, along with another 67 in the church attack in Negombo, north of the capital, with another 25 dead at a church in the town of Batticaloa, in the east of the country.
Sri Lanka’s President Maithripala Sirisena said he was shocked by the explosions and appealed for calm. He said “I have given instructions to take very stern action against the persons who are responsible for this conspiracy,“.
Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe wrote on Twitter: ‘I strongly condemn the cowardly attacks on our people today.
“I call upon all Sri Lankans during this tragic time to remain united and strong. Please avoid propagating unverified reports and speculation. The government is taking immediate steps to contain this situation“.
CAN YOU HELP US REPORT MORE INDEPENDENT NEWS?