What you need to know about Coronavirus

by Avi Yemini

Coronavirus are a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as MERS, SARS and now a new strain that has not been previously identified in humans.

So, when you see Coronavirus listed on the back of your hand sanitizer or surface cleaner that you brought before this outbreak, it’s not some big conspiracy; Coronavirus has been around for a lot longer than Detol.

Is Coronavirus going to kill us all?

No, not even close.

MERS killed almost 900 people, and SARS killed nearly 800. This Coronavirus has killed approximately 500 people so far.

Don’t get me wrong; it’s a bad flu. But that’s about all it is, a horrible flu.

There’s been far worse pandemics of flu in the past.

Do you remember Swine Flu in 2009?

I was bedridden for four days straight. It was the worst sickness I had ever contracted.

Depending on what report you go by; they estimate Swine Flu is responsible for between 203,000 to almost 600,00 deaths.

Coronavirus will not come even close.

But like I said, it is a bad flu, and we should take all precautions.

Statistically, 0.05% of infected people die of seasonal flu every year; this Coronavirus currently sits at a 2% kill rate. That’s a big difference. However, it still means that if by some very unlucky chance you contract this “deadly” virus, you have a 98% chance of survival.

Like most of these viruses, the vulnerable with underlying problems make up the death toll. Basically, old, young and sick people are the ones at risk of death, not the vast majority of us healthy adults.

In addition to having a higher kill rate, Coronavirus is also more contagious than the seasonal flu.

The measure scientists use to determine how easily a virus spreads is known as the “basic reproduction number,” and is calculated on three elements:

1. Mode of Transmission
2. Contact rate
3. Infectious period

This is starting to sound technical, but it’s actually quite simple; The number given is approximately how many people an infected person would pass the disease on if he or she wasn’t quarantined.

For example:
Seasonal flu is rated R1-2. Meaning, the person would infect one to two other people.
Coronavirus is currently rated at R2-3.
But to put it into perspective; the measles is rated R17.

So Coronavirus is nowhere near as contagious as the measles, but again it’s worse than the seasonal flu. It’s a severe flu.

They are working on bringing down that number by all the measures you’re seeing reported every time you turn on the news.

Unlike what some are claiming, it’s not racist to take these precautions to avoid becoming one of those statistics because no one wants to catch the flu, especially a bad flu.

The entire Chinese community cancelled their own News Years celebrations here in Melbourne and probably many other places, as a precaution. Are you calling them racist for targeting themselves? So please STOP looking for racism where it doesn’t exist.

Having said that, if you abuse people because they look Chinese, that is racist and stupid.

But if you see someone eating a bat, then fair enough, have at it.

The majority of Asian’s don’t eat bats and don’t want to catch the flu, just as much as you.

Finally, please, when this peters out, which it will, don’t let China off the hook for all the crimes they are committing.

Otherwise, the forgotten victims of this Coronavirus will be the Uyghurs, Christians, the dissidents in mainland China and of course, Hong Kong.

You may also like

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Close Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy